On Thursday 13 December, The Powering Past Coal Alliance invite you to attend the Coal Free Day at the UK pavilion at COP24, International Congress Centre, Katowice.
09:30 – 11:00 – Making a Just Transition away from coal – UK Pavilion
- Introduction from UK & Canada representatives;
- Lola Vallejo, IDDRI;
- Ian Walker / Michael Stanley, World Bank;
- Carla Frisch, Rocky Mountain Institute;
- Sagarika Chatterjee, UNPRI;
- Binnu Jeyakumar, Pembina Institute;
- Moderated by Chris Littlecott, E3G.
This first session of the day will discuss progress on the challenge of enabling a Just Transition away from coal, showcasing work from international institutions and think tanks, and reflecting on the UK and Canada experience.
11:15 – 12:45 – Global Coal Power: where are we, where do we need to go, and how do we get there? – UK Pavilion
- Matt Gray, Carbon Tracker Initiative
- Anders Holst Nymark, Global Public Affairs Lead, Orsted
- Will Gardner, CEO, Drax
- Han Chen, International Coal Finance, NRDC
- Sara Ahmed, IEEFA Philippines
- Moderated by Richard Folland, Carbon Tracker Initiative
This second session will see Carbon Tracker launch new research on global coal economics, and bring together a range of voices critical to the conversation, including investors, policy makers, utilities and industry specialists.
Carbon Tracker’s research will provide data on profitability of coal plants, Paris-compliant phase-out schedules, stranded asset risk, and much more. It will be accompanied by a portal which will visualise the data on a plant-by-plant basis, or aggregated up to the company, country or global level.
13:15 – 14:45 – Powering Past Coal Alliance official side-event – Accelerating the global coal transition – Warmia Room (Room 4)
To celebrate the one-year anniversary of the Alliance’s launch, Canada and the United Kingdom are proud to host an event at COP 24. See our dedicated event page for more details.
15:15-17:15 – Powering Past Coal Alliance member working meeting – UK Delegation Room
Private meeting for PPCA members only.
17:30 – Drinks Reception – UK Pavilion
Open drinks for delegates working to accelerate the transition from coal to clean energy.