SET YOUR GOALS
Joining the PPCA means committing to take concrete action as a national or sub-national government, utility, business, or industry institution to achieve the phase out of unabated coal on timelines aligned with the Paris Agreement.
We therefore encourage all members to endorse the PPCA declaration which includes a commitment to phase out coal by 2030 in the OECD, and by 2040 in the rest of the world.
We encourage all national governments, as they join the Alliance, to endorse the PPCA declaration and set phase out dates by 2030 in the OECD and by 2040 in the rest of the world. We recognise, however, that some national governments need additional support to set or bring forward their phase out dates and so we also welcome national governments to join if they can commit to:
- stop building new unabated coal plants domestically
- stop providing international finance to unabated coal
- set a phase out date
- align policies with the Paris Agreement goal to limit global temperature rise to well below 2°C, with efforts to limit it to 1.5°C.
Subnational government members of the PPCA commit to using all policy and regulatory levers under their authority, and to encouraging national governments, other subnational governments and businesses in their respective countries to phase out unabated coal power in line with the PPCA Declaration: by 2030 in the OECD and EU, and by no later than 2040 in the rest of the world.
Private sector members of the PPCA commit to:
- Electricity suppliers or generators commit to stopping building new unabated coal-fired power plants and to phasing out those that exist, by 2030 in the OECD and EU, and by no later than 2040 in the rest of the world.
- Financial institutions commit to restricting finance and financial services to new and existing unabated coal fired power generation, in line with the PPCA’s Finance Principles.
- Large consumers of electricity commit to powering their operations without unabated coal-fired electricity, by 2030 in the OECD and EU, and by no later than 2040 in the rest of the world.
SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
Want to become a member of the PPCA? Follow the following steps to submit your application to become a member of the Alliance.
If you have any questions about PPCA’s work or how to become a member, please get in touch with the PPCA Secretariat.
Confirm your Commitment
Send a letter or email to confirm your commitment to the Alliance goals.
Identify a contact person that the Secretariat can share news and information about meetings, events, announcements, etc with. We would like to keep our members informed and engaged as the Alliance grows.
Provide a few short points to highlight what your government or business is doing to support coal phase-out.