Time: 17:45-18:45 GST (Dubai)
Venue: UK Pavilion, COP28 Blue Zone and online here
Organisers: Powering Past Coal Alliance
At COP28, countries must make a historic commitment to accelerating action on coal phase-out and to immediately stopping the construction of new coal power. This PPCA COP28 event will bring together PPCA Co-Chairs and other governments leaders to talk about the action they are taking to accelerate the phase-out of coal and urge all other countries to support a global agreement on these issues at the COP.
Coal is the single largest source of carbon emissions and needs to be phased out first and fastest. Stopping new unabated coal power plants now, radically accelerating the coal-to-clean transition within the next 7 years and completely ending emissions from coal by 2040 will make or break our chances for keeping temperature rise to 1.5oC.
We are not on track to achieve these targets. Building on the Glasgow Climate Pact and outcomes of the first Global Stocktake, countries need to go further in their coal phase-out commitments to ensure a safe climate and prosperous future for all. COP28 must be the turning point we need to get on track for limiting global temperature rise to keep 1.5°C within reach.
- Graham Stuart, UK Minister for Energy Security and Net Zero and PPCA Co-Chair
- Steven Guilbeault, Minister for Environment and Climate Change Canada and PPCA Co-Chair
- Damilola Ogunbiyi, CEO of Sustainable Energy for All, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Sustainable Energy for All and UN-Energy Co-Chair
- Selwin Hart, Special Adviser to Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Omar Andres Camacho, Minister of Mines and Energy, Government of Colombia
- Liburn Aliu, Minister of Environment, Spatial Planning and Infrastructure, Kosovo
- Petr Hladík, Minister of Environment, Czech Republic (pre-recorded)
- Jennifer Morgan, State Secretary and Special Envoy for International Climate Action at the Foreign Office of Germany
- Tina Stege, Climate Envoy, Republic of the Marshall Islands
- Rick Duke, Deputy Special Envoy for Climate, United States
- Eric Francia, CEO, ACEN
- Julia Skorupska, Head of Secretariat, Powering Past Coal Alliance