On Thursday 13 December, The Powering Past Coal Alliance invite you to attend the Coal Free Day at the UK pavilion at COP24, International Congress Centre, Katowice.
09:30 - 11:00 - Making a Just Transition away from coal - UK Pavilion
- Introduction from UK & Canada representatives;
- Lola Vallejo, IDDRI;
- Ian Walker / Michael Stanley, World Bank;
- Carla Frisch, Rocky Mountain Institute;
- Sagarika Chatterjee, UNPRI;
- Binnu Jeyakumar, Pembina Institute;
- Moderated by Chris Littlecott, E3G.
This first session of the day will discuss progress on the challenge of enabling a Just Transition away from coal, showcasing work from international institutions and think tanks, and reflecting on the UK and Canada experience.
11:15 – 12:45 - Global Coal Power: where are we, where do we need to go, and how do we get there? - UK Pavilion
- Matt Gray, Carbon Tracker Initiative
- Anders Holst Nymark, Global Public Affairs Lead, Orsted
- Will Gardner, CEO, Drax
- Han Chen, International Coal Finance, NRDC
- Sara Ahmed, IEEFA Philippines
- Moderated by Richard Folland, Carbon Tracker Initiative
This second session will see Carbon Tracker launch new research on global coal economics, and bring together a range of voices critical to the conversation, including investors, policy makers, utilities and industry specialists.
Carbon Tracker's research will provide data on profitability of coal plants, Paris-compliant phase-out schedules, stranded asset risk, and much more. It will be accompanied by a portal which will visualise the data on a plant-by-plant basis, or aggregated up to the company, country or global level.
13:15 - 14:45 - Powering Past Coal Alliance official side-event - Accelerating the global coal transition - Warmia Room (Room 4)
To celebrate the one-year anniversary of the Alliance’s launch, Canada and the United Kingdom are proud to host an event at COP 24. See our dedicated event page for more details.
Register for the Event
15:15-17:15 - Powering Past Coal Alliance member working meeting - UK Delegation Room
Private meeting for PPCA members only.
17:30 - Drinks Reception - UK Pavilion
Open drinks for delegates working to accelerate the transition from coal to clean energy.